Our Doctors carry out Drivers Licence medicals. These require a half hour appointment.
You’ll need to present a medical certificate when:
- applying for or renewing a heavy vehicle licence (class 2,3,4,5), unless you’ve provided a certificate within the last five years
- applying for or renewing endorsements for passengers (P), vehicle recovery services (V), driving instruction (I) or testing officer (O) unless you’ve provided a certificate within the last five years
- you have a medical condition that may affect your ability to drive safely
- you’re an older driver obtaining or renewing any licence class or endorsement beyond your 75th birthday
Renewing for seniors
Once you turn 75 there are a few changes to the process for renewing your driver licence:
- Your new licence will be valid for only two to five years.
- The renewal fees are lower – because you’re renewing your licence more often.
- You need to present a medical certificate each time you apply.
- If recommended by your doctor, you will have to sit a 30-minute On-road Safety Test
For more information visit the NZTA website here.
Please ring and make an appointment for your driving medical. All drivers medicals require a double consultation and charge.